top of page

4 Park Avenue, PO Box 1

Arkport, NY 14807

Marriage Information

The process of obtaining a marriage license in the Town Clerk’s office takes about 20 minutes. No appointment is necessary. The cost is $40.00 (cash or check payable to Town of Hornellsville, or credit card with processing fee). We are open for licensing, Monday & Thursday from 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm and Tuesday & Wednesday from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm (except holidays).

Marriage License Information

Couples wishing to obtain a marriage license may do so up to 60 days in advance of their wedding date; it must be obtained at least 24 hrs before the wedding. Both parties must be present to sign before the clerk.


Both applicants must provide the following:

  • A current Driver's license or other government issued photo ID such as a non-driver's license, passport, etc.

  • A Certified Birth Certificate listing parents' names;

  • Social Security Number

  • If previously married:  You must provide a copy of your final divorce decree that has the County stamp on it as to where it was filed.  If there was more than one divorce, you will have to provide the date of all divorces and have the paperwork for the latest divorce. If a marriage ended due to spousal death, you must provide the death certificate. 


Both middle name & surname (last name) to be used after marriage are required. Please be prepared to provide this information at your appointment.  Also, please be aware that a marriage license cannot be modified or changed after it is issued.


For more information please visit the New York State Department of Health website.

Certified Marriage Transcripts

Who is eligible?

  • The bride or groom

  • New York State Court Order or a Government agency for a legal or proper purpose only


Identification Requirements

Application must be submitted with copies of either A or B:

A. One (1) of the following forms of valid photo ID:

  • Driver’s license with photo

  • Non-driver photo ID card

  • Passport

  • Nexus Pass

  • Pistol Permit

  • Other government issued photo ID


B. Five (5) of the following showing the applicant's name and address:

  • A utility bill (gas, electric, phone, cable)

  • Current Paycheck stubs

  • Social Services card

  • Health Insurance card

  • Mortgage/Rental lease statement


To obtain a copy of a Certified Marriage Transcript:

Requesting a Record In Person: You must provide government issued photo ID.  The fee is $10 per certificate payable by check, money order, cash or credit card with processing fee.


Requesting a Record Via Internet: For your convenience, you may process online requests through VitalChek Network, Inc. an independent company. They can be reached either online at or by phone at 800-255-2414. VitalChek charges an additional fee for using their service. They accept all major credit cards. The Town of Hornellsville is not responsible for the operation of this service. VitalChek assumes all liability.


Requesting a record via Mail: Please call our office (607-295-9660) in advance to verify that we have issued the license and have it on file. Orders are processed within 3-5 days from receipt of mail request. The following information must be included:

  1. Application for Certified Copy of Marriage

  2. A self addressed stamped envelope

  3. Check or Money order payable to the Hornellsville Town Clerk ($10 per certificate)

  4. Copy of a valid government issued ID

  5. Proof of address if the address on the ID provided is incorrect

  6. Mail requested information to:

Town of Hornellsville

Vital Records
PO Box 1
Arkport, NY 14807

Genealogy Records

Record must be at least 50 years old. The subjects of the genealogy search must be deceased, as proven by the death certificates provided by the applicant. Records starting with the year 1885 are available.

Genealogy Research Fee

The standard fee for a genealogy copy is $22.00. This includes a copy of the certificate, a three-year search of the index, and either a copy of the record or a no record found. When more than a three-year search is requested, the fee is higher.


If we are unable to locate the record, a No Record Found Certification will be issued. You are NOT entitled to a refund.

Freedom of Information Law (FOIL)

Marriage certificates are not subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) and are NOT open to public inspection.

bottom of page